Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Worship

This is from The Worship Sourcebook, published jointly by the Calvin institute of Christian Worship, Faith Alive Christian Resources and Baker Books.

Worship calls for our best offerings. When we practice music, prepare words to speak, set aside gifts of money and time to offer, and ensure that we are rested and ready to give our undivided attention, we are practicing the kind of excellence worthy of our great and gracious God.

This struck me as I read it last night. How often am I half-asleep as I read Scripture? How often does my mind wander as I listen to the sermon on a Sunday morning? Am I really giving God my best offering? How often do I go to church because I think that I have to not because I want to? Granted, I am always glad that I did and typically garner something from the service that the Holy Spirit has prepared for me. But, I love to sleep late and sometimes forget that my alertness to God's moving through worship is a form of worship. OK, I don't forget, I didn't even realize it until I read this in my church newsletter last night.

God deserves my best and he isn't getting it. Not even close. I'm a bit ashamed. Time to do something about it though and not wallow in it.

This quote talks of giving our best. That doesn't mean, however, that only the best will do as far as speaking and music and clothes and large amounts of money. It's about the best that each person has to offer. Some people just have more of one thing or another to offer. Some have glorious voices, there best is different then those who can't carry a tune. BOTH are giving a great offering though because they are giving their best and praise the Lord for those people who give, regardless of their talent, as long as it's the best.

That's exciting for me. Yea Jesus!

2 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

I am not neccessarily one to say this too often, but perhaps you are being too hard on yourself. Maybe the wandering thoughts are the true worship for you--at least sometimes.

rubyslipperlady said...

I typically come out of worship with a To Do list written on the bulletin. Sometimes the things are related to worship, sometimes not.