Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Japan job interview

Last week I journeyed to Colorado to interview with the Japanese consulate to teach English in Japan. I will know something in early April. I have no idea how the interview went, really. They asked some good hard questions that I had not thought of yet. It was good to think of those things though. I really don't know.

Do I still want to move to Japan for a year to teach English? yes
Do I have any idea if I will be hired? nope
Will I live if I don't get it? yea

I've decided that if I am not hired, I'll move on to another cultural area - Latino. I'll brush up on my espanol and forge ahead. What I'd love to do is move to Colorado (the Springs or up north in the Longmont region, perhaps) and get a job or volunteer within that culture. Any suggestions or job openings?

Beyond the interview . . .
I had a great time in Colorado. It was so much fun to hang with my friends and family. Celebrated Pancake Day early with the fam in Denver (they're from L-town). Had one of my 'dates' (another post) at a fun Brazilian steakhouse with so much food I could burst! I could just list everything I did and then add, "it was great!" but I won't make you suffer. I learned some good things about myself and my life while I was away and that was really good. I didn't really gain any strong insight into what's next, but perhaps a slight direction as well as some things that are not in my future. It's always good to know something, even if it's a no. (Clear as mud?)

I did get to go to the good Friar's Sunday evening aka second service. That's why I flew out on Monday morning because I realy wanted to support him in that and see what it is he is working so hard on these days. I enjoyed it. I understand that there was a smaller turn-out than normal (perhaps they all heard that I was coming and were overwhelmed by the thought of my presence). It was good though and I'm glad I stayed even though it sucked getting up that early the next morning to fly back north.

Worship was about loving the unlovable and asking God to show us who and how to love each day. I'm trying to put that into practice as I prepare for work each morning, before I even get out of bed. I have a few folks I'd rather just ignore, but it's just not possible.

Another dear friend, Andrea, said something wonderful to me today. "Well friend, I pray God gives you influence for his kingdom, since he has certainly used your passion to ignite the fires for Pancake Day." I'm praying that God will ignite some fires in my heart for folks to have us all see his joy.

I'm pooped. I've eaten too many pancakes - they're making me tired. Doesn't matter, I'm having more for supper - yeehaw!

5 comments:

carrie said...

Can't wait to hear the rest of your adventure! Cool that you got to see our SC friends in CO once again. Sounds like fun.

San Nakji said...

Good luck with the Japan thing, you would love it there for sure!

If you like the book, Memoirs of a Geisha, then you will hate the movie. It is boring, artificial and the acting is poor... ;o)

Friar Tuck said...

Thanks for being a support...although I will admit I was a little nervous having you there....and then it was about half our usual turnout.

Glad to hear you are enjoying pancake day.

Friar Tuck said...

I think you should look on the other side of the mountains for something. Perhaps Alamosa.

There is this multidenominational ministry that we participate in called La Puente there. Maybe send a resume there and see if they need anyone.

rubyslipperlady said...

Thanks for the tip on the movie San, appreciate it.

Friar, yea! THanks for the tip on a job, I saw something about La Puente, probably at your church. I'll look into it. hooray!

Can't wait to hear about YOUR adventures, Carrie.

Pancakes were GOOD!