Saturday, February 18, 2006

Say what?

Yes, I do not know how to say no, especially when it means that I get to be 'on.' I have agreed to teach an adult Sunday school class this semester and it starts this weekend. It's on Communication and the first week is an overview, but I'm nervous. Yikes!

Thus far, this is what the semester will look like (I think).

Feb. 19 “Communication 101”
basic comm. info. What is communication, basic info, what does God say about communication? What do you want to learn about communication? Self-disclosure.

Feb. 26 no class, I'm in COLORADO!

Mar. 5 “Are you there, God?”
How do we talk to and with God? What does the Bible say? How do we LISTEN to God?

Mar. 12 “Are we even speaking the same language?”
love language concept, we share and learn differently, knowing your dominant language helps as well as does knowing the dominant language of those closest to you. What was Jesus’s language? All of them.

Mar. 19 “I’m sorry, were you speaking to me?”
Listening, what does Scripture say about listening, how can we better listen and make sure that people are hearing what we are really saying?

Mar. 26 & Apr. 2 “Back Off!”
Conflict resolution, how to approach one another through Matthew 18. When and how to bring in outside mediation. (this could be 2 weeks)

Apr. 9 & 23 “Bienviendos! Watashiwa Amy desu. Velkomen!”
Cross-cultural communication. (this could be 2 weeks) Invite people to share experiences (Bruce & Nikki Kuiper), how do we reach out to those in other cultures to share Jesus everyday.

I think that there is no class on Easter Sunday, Apr. 16.

Apr. 23 “Who’s in charge here?”
How do we lead in community? What does God tell us?

May 7 “You can do it!”
Encouragement, we are called to lift up one another and not cause others to stumble, how do we openly encourage, how do we fight feeling like a suck-up, but truly be encouragers


I'm also coming up with a short survey so that I can see if there is something that people want to discuss or learn about that I have not thought of yet. How about you? Any suggestions? Scripture offerings for any of the above topics? Book suggestions? All words of wisdom are welcome as are questions.

5 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

This might look good on a resume.

SUPER said...

You'll do great at this...but was this a good choice of commitment, seeing as though you don't really know if you'll be there an entire semester?

rubyslipperlady said...

bite me. they are aware of my committment restrictions. It's all really too much for each 45 min. session, but we'll see after tomorrow. I'm at work training a new volunteer. fun.

feels good b n FREE said...

allow urself to be a blessing

u know u'll be rewarded in ways you can't even imagine

rubyslipperlady said...

Thank you so much my fine jeweled friend! Love your log-on name! Yesterday went really well. Enjoy your day, my friends! Amy