Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I love my flippin' flapjacks!


For the uninitiated, my hometown in the Pancake Hub of the Universe (really, I can't make this stuff up). It all started in 1950 when Liberal, Kansas and Olney, England became sister cities to race against each other in the International Pancake Race.

This is fabulous, my friends, I mean totally flippin' awesome! My mom and sister were on the Food Network a couple of years ago for the festivities and it's a riot! You do not want to miss this, school is cancelled, there are activities all weekend long, including the Miss Liberal pagent and an English tea, in honor of the connection with Olney.

If you are looking for a couple of spots to hit for good flapjacks on this most awesome of holidays here are a few spots to try, I don't know how international they are but would love to hear about your favorite pancake haunt:
IHOP
Perkins
Pancake Pantry - Nashville, TN - amazing!
Denny's - oh, the time I spent here whilst growing up in high school, and the waitressing job Ihad there, good grief

You'll also find the official website by clicking on the logo above. It's OK, but not as updated as this pancake lover would prefer. Please be sure to note the list of runners. That's right, Ruby's back in L-town and running in the big race again. If you get a chance, shoot her an email to wish her well. Go, Rubes! (umm, for those that don't know, that's my sister, aka Sarah. I call her Ruby . . . long story for another post.)

So, now be sure you all go out and have pancakes at least ONCE this coming Shrove Tuesday (aka Fat Tuesday and more importantly, PANCAKE DAY!) If your in the Cities, we're dining at IHOP behind the MOA. yummy!

4 comments:

San Nakji said...

This holiday just passed me by... Me, who loves pancakes! I am gutted.

rubyslipperlady said...

Oh, no. You haven't missed it, it's NEXT Tuesday the 28th. Think of the fun that awaits. I suppose that you could even celebrate with Korean pancakes.

SUPER said...

Here's the scoop. The Last Chance race...for women over 55...only has 1 runner signed up. Mom said if they only have 1 still on the day before...she's gonna run again!
Keep your fingers crossed!

rubyslipperlady said...

GO MOM! OUR MOM ROCKS THE FLAPJACK FLIPPIN' PLANET!