Wednesday, February 15, 2006

It's a Committment not a Feeling

OK, I'm not always on a singles tirade (I don't think), but since sending out a few emails and my bloginess, I have received many articles and words of wisdom and encouragement from friends.

Here's an excerpt from one of the most recent articles which comes from Relevant Magazine.

------
Finally, the best advice I received came from a pastor; he said, “Mass media of our modern culture has ruined the concept of a soul mate because soul can now mean anything metaphysical and mate can be anyone.” He also said, “‘The one’ we should be looking for is Jesus, and then He’ll help us change so that we could make a marriage work with whomever.”

That’s a strange concept: Marriage with anyone would work as long as we follow God’s guidelines and commit to living that out daily. It makes sense, though, because I have seen many people fall in and out of love faster than they change their socks. If we rely upon feeling in love, then that obviously doesn’t work.
-------

Love is a committment, not a feeling. One morning you wake up and that feeling is gone, then what? I thought this article was one of the better encouragements that I have received lately. Thanks, Beth!

5 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

yes when it comes down to it we love who we choose to love.

Friar Tuck said...

good news and bad news. It looks like I am not preaching this week in Denver, but rather next Sunday.

rubyslipperlady said...

No worries.
Shoot me an email to tell me what you'd like to do.

Still_Waiting_for_the_Dawn said...

That is the difference between agape and eros love

Most in our society don't know the difference. The media sure as heck doesn't even think agape exists.

Thank God for Himself :) I'm happy that He has taught me and other believers about love.

rubyslipperlady said...

I love it, Shawna, "Thank God for Himself!" I thank God for you!