Tuesday, February 07, 2006

JOY

I organized a single women's retreat this past weekend. It was a small group of women but the Holy Spirit moved within that circle of friends.

What happened?

  • While there was plenty of interest, actuality only brought 4 participants, making a total of 5 with the speaker. That group of five didn't care that we were a small group at all and relished in the opportunity to be our own small group, taking in everyting that the speaker was able to give us on a more intimate level.
  • The speaker, a dear friend of mine, offered her services for the glory of God and the benefit of the women, only. No fee was charged.
  • Due to the small number of participants, we were not able to afford our original location. The back-up location fell through as well. On Tuesday or Wednesday of last week, a friend offered his condo for our use. He & I swapped places for the weekend and the women were touched by his servant's heart.
  • A woman I don't know very well was one of the participants and I learned much more about her.

We talked about our joy in the Lord. How do we allow God's joy to be taken from us? What does Scripture say about those joy busters? What do we say back? How can we contradict those joy busters with scriptural joy boosters?

Even in the midst of the retreat where we were talking about all of those things, I allowed some of my joy to be busted, or at least not fully enjoyed.

I have more to develop in my heart. I love God. I want his joy to radiate from deep within me. I need to face my joy busters (anger, fear, pride) and allow God to do a mighty work in me so that I may more fully celebrate his joy every day.

Joy is not happiness, nor happiness joy. Happiness is temporary, joy is deep within. Joy is an attitude, a way of life. Even when I am not happy, I should (and often do) have the joy of the Lord in my soul and heart. Joy is a peace that passes all understanding.

I've rambled enough for the moment. May you find the joy that you seek.

4 comments:

SUPER said...

Sounds fun. So Evan stayed at your house? Poor, poor guy! ha. Just kidding.

rubyslipperlady said...

Not Evan, he was in Carusso getting married. We couldn't stay at his place (plan B) due to Sarah's dog that terrified of people. We were at Jeff's.

Still_Waiting_for_the_Dawn said...

joy is hard at times but is soooooooooo good.

rubyslipperlady said...

Praise the Lord!