Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hurtful

I've read two chit lit books in the last two days. They were mostly light-hearted and fun. One was set in the Twin Cities which was fun, as I knew some of the places they talked about and the other was in Paris as was fun as they talked of many places I'd like to go.

Between these books, conversations that I've had in the past couple of weeks and a few articles I've read recently, I've been struggling with my singleness.

The more I think about it the more I can remember about many conversations I've had with family and friends who love me and are concerned for me and want me to be happy. They know that I want to be married, and often offer ways to make that happen. That just frustrates me and closes me off.

I've found myself at a point where I am willing to admit (slightly) that I've been in a funk for a few years now. (Many might call this depression, I prefer funk, thank you very much.) End of that.

As a result of this I basically just didnt' give a shit. I didn't really care what I looked like, what I wore, if it matched, if I wore make-up, etc. I work at a hospital (not as a care giver) and tried to get them to let me wear scrubs, to no avail. Oh, the glory of basically wearing my PJ's to work.

Anyway, based on my personal reflections I'm wondering why. Have I purposely made it difficult for someone to approach me, let alone love me? This is not a pity party by any means, just some reflection. I know that many things I say (about hating MN for example) would not encourage a man that lives here to pursue me.

There are many things floating through my mind and heart right now. Have I shut all doors and windows and am only looking through a peek-hole?

Anyway, I'm writing at work (from where I do most of my blogging) and there are many interruptions today. So I will part. I've added a link to one of the recent articles that I found quite hurtful and would like to hear your thoughts.

Again, not a pity party, just some self-realization, self-diclosure, and deep thoughts. Where's Jack Handy when you need him?

"Today's singleness is not celibacy-induced kingdom work unaccommodating to family life. No, it's the result of choices and mistakes by both the individual and society. Today's singleness is either a lifestyle option or purely circumstantial; therefore, it is largely unbiblical."

11 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

The quote is pretty damned stupid.

The best book I have read on the issue is...Singles at the Crossroads by Albert Hsu.

One of his points is that before the reformation singleness was venerated, and as a reaction to it family was venerated after the Reformation, and what we need is a more biblical and balanced view.

Friar Tuck said...

Not that you are stupid for quoting it, but that whoever said it is obviously a moron.

SUPER said...

just read a hilarious book for single women. Some what x-rated at points, but hilarious anyway. It's written by one of the women that wrote for "Sex in the city".
Made me feel better!

Friar Tuck said...

How do you think people view women being single and men being single differently.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! I think I read the book Sarah mentioned. Wish I'd read it a few hundred years ago! It would have helped me so much in my 39 years of singleness. Interested in Clint's book. Even though I'm married now, and I of course believe my hubby is the only one for me, 39 years of singleness was a lifetime. Well, let's see if I figured out how to post this. Love you! Kim

Anonymous said...

Well, I figured out the posting thing! YEAH! I wanted to respond to Clint. I think people think that men have more of a choice in marriage than women do. Traditionally they are the proposers. But, as was said in Sarah's book, and in my discussions with my husband, when guys find THE WOMAN!!! all the courage in the world comes and they go for it. Until then, no go. Well, don't know why I am blathering on here, I guess I just feel for my single Sterlingites and their friends/family! And I'm so happy I got technologically promoted to the point where I can post on a blog! See ya!

Friar Tuck said...

Kim needs a blog of her own

rubyslipperlady said...

Go KIM!

Still_Waiting_for_the_Dawn said...

I'm sorry you are having/have had a difficult time.

(PS I understand the anti-MN thing...even though I grew up here, I thought I was going to leave in 2002 and so far I'm here 4 years past my goal....and another 3 in sight still.....)

rubyslipperlady said...

Will it ever end or will we be in the Frozen Tundra forever, Shawna?

Still_Waiting_for_the_Dawn said...

I'm already dreaming of that California sun and those Vancouver mountains and other random, other places...