Friday, January 27, 2006

Colorful regional words

It's like pop vs. soda vs. coke. You need to be aware that the words you use are not the same wherever you are, even in you own nation. I currently live in what I've 'lovingly' termed, the Frozen Tundra of Minnesota. However, I grew up in the great plains of southwest Kansas. I grew up calling it a pop or a coke. "You wanna go get a coke?" didn't mean that we were only going Coca-Cola.

Anyway, at work we use lots of rubber bands, only everyone here calls them rubber binder. To me a binder is a three-ring notebook.

Also, I just found out in Wisconsin they call a water fountain a 'bubbler.'

What differences have you noticed?

3 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

Do you call it a lollipop or a sucker? My choice is sucker.

Friar Tuck said...

The term freak has multiple variations of meaning depending on cultural context. That was always funny when DC Talk came out with the FREAK shirts...I was like you better not wear that in my neighborhood unless you are a prostitute or a very friendly woman.

The greeting "Whats up?" has different meanings. In some places an invitation for conversation. In other places...it is a passing greeting.

SUPER said...

One that I find random...but also have found myself using...is "Shut up!" meaning...are you serious? This one REALLY confuses old people and they think you are REALLY being rude!