Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Travel Humor

As you may remember, I have applied to teach English in Japan. I won't even know if I get an interview with this program until Feb. Anyway . . . I found this website from a friend. Having been to Japan twice as well as a few other non-native-English speaking countries, I have seen several things like what is on this site. It is funny and yet a strong reminder that translations are not always clear and you cannot take anything for granted while dealing with other languages and cultures.

3 comments:

SamuRyan said...

I too am planning on going to Japan to teach English but I haven't made any preparations. How's it going?

Anonymous said...

Here is a friend's bolg who is in Hokkaido with JET. Might be interesting for you. htttp://loriaswanner.blogspot.com

rubyslipperlady said...

Samuryan -- I have turned in everything to JET (deadline was Nov. 29 to leave this coming summer) and now I wait. I should hear in Feb. if I get an interview and then I would fly to Denver to interview (my location choice), but not leave until the end of July for a year. It's the waiting game now, nothing left to do for this one. Another org. is AEON, but I never heard from them, did hear from NOVA but then heard better things about JET, so I went with them.

Carrie, thanks for the blog, I'll be sure to stop by.