Thursday, July 20, 2006

A CASE STUDY OF THE ROLE OF CULTURAL BROKER USING FISHER’S NARRATIVE PARADIGM

Yup, that's right. That is the official title of my thesis. Aren't you excited? I had to give a copy to the school library so you will be able to check it out online through interlibrary loan anyday now. FUN!

Anyway, I really wanted to share one of my favorite parts of my thesis with you all. Here I will share my acknowledgements (they are about 3 pages long) and I'll post my dedication in a bit. This was a long, ardous process as you have all heard and these people made it all better and worth the while. Thanks! (read the BAM post prior to this one, it'll help a bit)

Acknowledgments
With gratitude to all those around me who listened to my various ramblings throughout this process. You are an untold treasure in my life. Words seem trivial in comparison to how you have all touched my heart over the past two years. Consider yourselves hugged. May I offer a few more sincere “ramblings” of gratitude that will hopefully show everyone the story that you have helped narrate in my life. With tears of joyous thanksgiving to the following:
· My Mom, Julia Thompson, as you let me ramble about the misery and joy of graduate school, even though you already knew because you yourself walked this road not only as an adult learner but also as a mother, a teacher and a wife.
· The rest of my family who loves me regardless of my pedigree: my dad, Kenneth Thompson who supported me with prayers, car advice and the occasional loan; my sisters, Sarah-Ruby and Angela, more about you later; Gran, Margaret Lewis and Grandad, James Thompson both of whom I tried to keep in touch with through my letters and pictures of my Frozen Tundra adventures. You all put up with my frazzled ramblings or absenteeism as I tried to focus on the task at hand. I love you more than words can begin to describe. God moved me far away, but know that my heart is always at home with you.
· My Minni Friends, who listened to non-communicative communication ramblings, what lifesavers you all were! Dawn, Chris, Jeff (the laptop was a Godsend, still trying to dig to China under the house?), Mark, Deb, Evan (thanks for the house and laundry), Brian and Bethany (the basement was a blessing). You offered diversions when desired as well as focus when needed.
· Lisa Fensterman and Julie Smith for talking out loud with me as well as listening to me ramble to my non-responsive laptop. You two encouraged me. Lisa, you kept me going (and in the library – or Market Square—or abandoned classroom) when I wanted to quit and run screaming from the whole thing, thank you for the proverbial slap in the face when needed.
· My friends across the country, who, depending on their time zone, heard from me when I most needed a study diversion or help staying awake on the drive home from the school. Sometimes you even danced a little “Y” with me to help abate the stress of the moment. Thank you Texas Laura, Andrea, Shari, Clint, Carrie and Ben Small of the Coney Island Smalls.
· One of my bosses, Ann Hagerman, who believed in me and allowed me flexibility while cheering me on and encouraging me to share my new-found knowledge with the 6 East Trauma Unit.
· My Cohort – you are the best part of this entire program, you have all impacted my life and I pray for each of you to hear the voice of God calling you to the next chapter in your story.
· The rest of the Trio who encouraged and prayed for one another, even when some finished first: Lynnae and Beth.
· Sterling College, who sent me North to the Frozen Tundra with blessings and prayers and still allows me to return as one of the family. Thank you Marge, Don, Dennis, Melanie, David and Connie. Go Warriors!

I would be remiss if I did not make one final rambling…BAM!

7 comments:

SUPER said...

ummmm...excuse me, All I'm going to focus on right now is me. You said more about you later...and umm...WHERE THE HECK IS THE LATER?! ha

Friar Tuck said...

thanks for the shout out and congrats.

rubyslipperlady said...

Thank you very much, Frair. You deserved it, helping me stay awake many nights on my drive from the library and for cheering me on. As for my selfish sister: I thought those posts were enough for one day, look again and you will see an addition.

SUPER said...

Oh come on now! I just thought you meant it was later in the post...and it wasn't...so I was confused!
I am blonde remember?!

rubyslipperlady said...

don't fall into that excuse.

Lisa, Operations Coordinator said...

Imagine my excitement when I do a search of blogspot for my last name (because I've lost the link to my lil brother's blog) and I find myself mentioned!

Wow. My thesis acknowledgements pale in comparison to these kind words. Thank you to you too for keeping me accountable throughout the entire voyage. I'm very glad you didn't quit after that cold night's tearful conversation in the parking lot! How we've grown and changed . . .

rubyslipperlady said...

Praise God for change! Maybe I should be careful for what I wish?

Love ya, my friend!

Hey, update your blog!

Wanna get together next week somewhere and blog?