Friday, April 21, 2006

Job scene

Sorry, this is my life right now, it's all I know at the moment.

Monday I had a great interview at a local Christian liberal arts college to work with their Christian Studies and intercultural internship program. This includes co-leading an 8-9 week international trip every fall (paid for by the school I might add). I have a second interview next Thursday afternoon. This job has a few concerns but a couple have been abated in that they pay for the trip (as opposed to me or having to raise support for it) and the salary will be something that I can live on (as opposed to the bottom of the range that they told me). The big clencher here is that I just learned that this trip is through Asia. Asia. If you recall, I've been to Japan a couple of times, love it, applied to teach there and was chosen as an alternate. ASIA! We end up in Hawaii before returning to MN for the freakin' cold of winter. Let me just say again, ASIA! China, Japan, Taiwan, etc. then Hawaii! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

Tuesday night I flew out to Colorado Springs for an interview with my newest link on the side there. It's a great organization that strives to end poverty in children all over the world. Amazing, really. It was an emotional interview as I continued to learn more about this ministry. One of the amazing things is this: A couple of weeks ago, after hearing so much about the poverty brought to the forefront by the hurrcane ravaged south, I had made a remark about what I should be doing about poverty and how I should change my lifestyle in regards to the poverty all around me. Within a day and a half, I recieved a call for a phone interview for this organization. It wasn't until I was talking with Danika that I realized that perhaps this was an answer to a prayer that I didn't realize I had uttered. Regardless of whether or not I get this job, I believe that God has planted a seed in my heart. Poverty is not my thing, but in reality, God calls all of us to feed his sheep, take care of the widown and the orphan. Maybe it's time I stretched my boundaries. Back to Wednesday, I had an all-day interview on the campus of the org in the Springs and it was great. I flew back last night and landed in the Cities about midnight. This job doesn't really have anything to do with cross-cultural issues which is one of my passions, but I see it leading to that and it allows me great benefits and travel and I'd be living in COLORADO SPRINGS!

When I turned my phone back on after my interview on Wednesday, the only message was from the college I had interviewed with on Monday, requesting a second interview as noted above.

Tonight I have what I'd call an informal interview for a job at my church. I'm meeting with a committee member (what church doesn't do everything through a committee or two or three) and the pastor to discuss my vision of this position. You see it's really quite different than what they were originally thinking and not something I seriously considered until the Lord wouldn't leave me alone about it. I don't know that this is where I'll end up but if not, I pray that perhaps I have challenged the ideas of the norm and broadened some horizons.

I'm still trying to get ahold of more information for a job in southwest MN. We'll see. It appears to maybe be working with the growing Latino population there through the church.

It's feast or famine, I swear. What a week! Pizza and bowling tomorrow for a friend's birthday, wine & cheese at my place on Saturday night, church, Italian fest and Bible Study on Sunday. I'm looking forward to sleeping late on Sat and doing nothing Monday night but laundry and just relaxing.

Time to get ready to leave for my passport photos, cause a girl needs to be ready!


These are all three different jobs that I believe the Lord has lead me to without a doubt. I am praying for clarity and discernment for these organizations and myself as we decide what is next.

No comments: