Thursday, November 10, 2005

One of Life's Lessons

I hesitate to type this, but I have been thinking quite a bit lately about the personal nature of many blogs I have read. Personal, introspective, either way, mine is really a daily log of activities rather than much more. In an attempt to go futher and in response to a request, here it goes. Hopefully other introspections will be much better.

In my undergraduate days I made a few minor errors. ALRIGHT! I made some whopping errors in judgment. I began a long-term intimate relationship with a fellow student that lasted far too long for everyone involved. While I cared about him, I did not ever love him the way a woman should love her husband. I was however, in love with the idea of being in love. Praise the Lord, I listened to his prompting and finally ended the relationship. However, while involved with this man, I made a mistake in not calling my folks to let them know that I had made it safely back to school following interterm one year. I had stopped at the dorm and dropped off all of my belongings and then proceeded to his dorm where we watched movies and fell asleep. (For those not aware, my alma mater does NOT have co-ed dorms nor did it have generous visitation hours at the time of my attendance. Overnight stays were certainly against all rules.) Anyway, we were rudely awakened early in the morning by a pounding on the dorm room door. To which he hesitantly asked who was there. A strong, loud voice alerted us to the presence of the Highway Patrol. The officer asked if he knew where I was and if I was in the room. He answered yes and the officer told him to have me call my mother. This was prior to many dorm room phones and cell phones. I had to go upstairs to the pay phone and humbly call my parents and make up some story (other than being rudely awakened in my boyfriend's room) about my whereabouts all night long. My parents threatened to remove me from school, etc.

Not one of my shining moments, that is certain.

Never fear, my more recent police meetings have been on better terms.

How awful. ick, or as they say in the Frozen Tundra--ish.

I learned a lot. Perhaps mostly in retrospect. Listen to your parents and ALWAYS call home upon safe arrival. Don't get ahead of yourself. Don't be stupid. Follow the rules (which, let's face it, I usually do). God forgives even our stupidity when we bow humbly before him.

7 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Ha! Your story here is a good one to hear.

Strangely, I tend to think you parents just needed to relax a little bit at that point.

At least I think threatening to bring you home was a little extreme.

It is also nice to hear that you broke the visitation rules.

Hussy! (Just kidding!)

rubyslipperlady said...

I did break the visitation rules. I can be a rulebreaker, really, I can. I even got written up once. We'd been studying and the window shade was up and CJ saw me and wrote me up. We each had visitation revoked for a week. Good grief!

My mom wasn't super happy about the realationship (because she was wiser than I now I can see) and was indeed overreacting.

What can I say, I am a hussy at heart. Can a friar be friends with a hussy? heeheehee

SUPER said...

ummm...not all of your encounters with cops since have been better...don't forget the one where you only had on a bra...speeding down the road! ha
You ARE a hussy!

rubyslipperlady said...

DAMN YOU! Somehow, I keep forgetting that little meeting and everyone else keeps bringing it up!

SUPER said...

ENOUGH! STOP WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD ROBIN!

rubyslipperlady said...

GO, ROBIN! GO, ROBIN! Let's see, I see some major memory purging coming up in a future blog, where should I begin...

SUPER said...

No doubt...we could have a blog dedicated just to our family..the freaks!