Monday, October 01, 2007

The good Dr.

Alida is my roomie here this week. We’ve been through various stages of training for our time in Africa. We’re with the same org. but she’ll be working on community health in a town 6-9 hours away (depending on the roads).

Anyway, she just told me that I have a special gift. I am finishing off my first Dr. Pepper since I left Kansas on July 17. Today is Sept. 29. That’s a long time to go without the good Dr. I’m a bit excited and drinking it perhaps too quickly and it’s making me burp, ok, so I’m belching. It’s not attractive. I know it. But it’s just the two of us in our room.

It’s not pretty but it’s a part of me. Love me or leave me.

BTW: My most beautiful Dr. cost me 120 shillings (which is about $2 USD). I had a glass of wine for supper and it cost the same amount as my Dr. Pepper. WHAT?! That’s the cheapest wine I’ve ever purchased and it wasn’t bad. It’s about the most expensive Dr. Pepper I’ve ever purchased, but dang! It was worth it! They’re hard to find and worth every penny I tell you! Every penny!

Alright, I’m OK now. At least I’ll be OK until I’m finished and then I might mourn. Just a bit.

2 comments:

SUPER said...

Ummm...gross. Gross to the wine AND the Dr. Glad you had a small taste of home though! Miss ya! You should move here when you come back so we can see each other everyday! Wouldn't that be delightful?!

Jen Wen Luoh said...

Hey girl! How are you? I didn't know they have Dr. Pepper in Kenya, but then again, Nairobi has everything.
How is Nairobi?
Here in Iringa, a pop (coke, Sprite) is about 300 TZ shillings which is about 30cents. But we don't have Dr. Pepper.
How's the Swahili coming along? When will you start in the village? It's going to be a great experience, I know it. We're having a great time right now .... of course we're expecting the down days, but it hasn't hit yet.
God bless ya
Jen