Monday, October 16, 2006

Africa

I've been trying to post about Africa, but haven't found any real chunk of time. Forget, no longer waiting, we'll just see what gets written.

I am interested in a paid volunteer position that would put me as a cultural broker between Africa organizations and North Americans traveling abroad to serve in those organizations. It's a year committment and sounds like it would be in either Kenya or Uganda. It's a new position within my church denomination and it hasn't even posted (unless it's out there now).

I never had a desire to go to Africa, but the position is amazing and just what I'd love to be doing. God planted a seed of working with poverty this past spring and I'm seeing that continue to grow with the possibility of this position.

So, as you can see, it's far from a sure thing at this point. I called last week to confirm that I was indeed interested and that I can live on their suggested stipend. The original idea is that the position will be posted this week or next with a start date of Mar. 1.

Who knows?

Anyone been to Kenya or Uganda? What is your high and low from the experience?

So there you have it in a nutshell. I must now return to my regularly scheduled job. sigh.

(SN: have I mentioned that there is a patient on my floor from New Zealand? Everyone loves her! I think that bodes well for your beloved land, she appears to be an excellent ambassador, she's here working on a degree.)

No comments: